Pav Bhaji literally means 'Bread with vegetables'. A spicy magical concoction of veggies like - potatoes, cauliflower, peas, tomatoes, onions, capsicum - all of them mashed until they lose their individual identity. A Pav (in Marathi for bread) crisp fried with Amul butter is served alongside. Sides and garnishes include slice of lemon or chopped onions or raita or cucumber and onion slices; every vendor has his own style.
But one thing that no one forgets is the blob of butter on top of bhaji...yummm.
Onions - 1 + 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Tomatoes - 2 cups, finely chopped (substitution : tomato paste)
Capsicum / Green Pepper - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Potatoes - 2-3 medium sized
Cauliflower - 1 cup
Green Peas - 1/2 cup
Garlic - 3-4 cloves (substitution : garlic paste - 1 teaspoon)
Red chilli powder - 2 teaspoons
Pav Bhaji Masala - 2 tablespoons
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander leaves - handful, chopped
Lemon - 3-4 wedges
Salt - As per taste
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Butter - 4-5 tablespoons
Pav (Substitution : regular sandwich bread)
1. Boil cauliflower, peas and potatoes. Peel the potatoes and mash all these veggies and set aside.
2. Make a paste of the garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder.
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan and add the above (garlic and red chilli) paste and turmeric powder.
4. Add 1 cup of finely chopped onions and saute' until the onions are soft.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes and capsicum. Saute' until everything is soft and well cooked.
6. Add rest of the red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and salt and mix well.
7. Add the mixture of mashed veggies and mix well.
8. Add a cup of water, cover and cook.
9. Mash the bhaji with the potato masher and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
10. Adjust salt and chilli or masala.
11. Slice the pav and butter it on all sides. Fry it on a tava / griddle until lightly browned and crisp on all sides.
12. Take the rest of 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions. Sprinkle a little salt, red chilli powder and salt on these. This masala onion can be served alongside bhaji or as garnish.
13. Garnish the bhaji with chopped coriander leaves and 2 teaspoons of amul butter or more ;-).
14. Serve along with a wedge of lemon and the masala onion and the crisp buttered pav.