Pages- ???

Monday, September 10, 2012

Rajma / Red Kidney Beans Curry

Wow, I can't believe, it's been a month I haven't blogged. Now that I am back, I can almost hear my heart singing in joy. I know, I know, that's just an exaggeration of a happy heart, a foodie soul and the effect of a hectic and insanely busy month.
Someone truly said, when you go away from something you like, that's when you realize how much you love that thing. That's exactly what happened, the past whole month I have realized how much I love blogging and I mean all aspects of it, the writing, cooking, photography, my blogger friends, their comments, events, the awards and the list goes on and on.
Alright, so here I am with a simple, hearty Punjabi style Rajma / Red Kidney Beans curry. After a long long time, I went for grocery shopping yesterday and I guess I might have gone a little overboard. I almost made that guy at the checkout counter cry, and I don't even want to think about those furious looks of people behind me. So, anyways, I bought these wonderful nutritious dried red kidney beans to make the famous North Indian Rajma Chawal. This Rajma curry along with some rice aka Rajma Chawal made a fulfilling and a comforting meal at the end of a long insane month.

Rajma  / Red Kidney Beans Curry
Rajma  / Red Kidney Beans Curry


Rajma Curry - Recipe
Rajma or red kidney beans (dried) - 1 cup
Rajma Beans (Dry and Boiled)
Rajma Beans (Dry and Boiled)

Onions - 1 cup chopped
Tomatoes - 1 cup chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 1 teaspoon (Homemade or store bought)
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Kasuri Methi - couple of pinches
Clove - 1
Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
Bay leaves - 1-2
Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon juice - 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder - couple of pinches
Salt
Oil


1. Soak red kidney beans for almost 7-8 hours or overnight.
2. Cook Rajma in pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and a pinch of asafoetida for 3-4 whistles. Don't throw any leftover water or the rajma stock. The same can be added to the curry later.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add a clove, a 1/2 inch small stick of cinnamon and a couple of bay leaves.
4. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida powder.
5. Add chopped onions and saute' until golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and saute' until soft.
6. Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder and garam masala powder. Crush some kasuri methi in your palm and add that too.
7. Saute' and add the boiled red kidney beans. Mix well.
8. Add salt, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice and the leftover rajma stock. Also, add a cup of water. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
9. Garnish with some more kasuri methi and coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice or roti, if you prefer.


27 comments:

  1. As we are punjabis this one is our most favorite....
    Lovely red colour of the curry :-)

    shrutirasoi

    Today's Recipe
    My First Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!

    And welcome back to Blogosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey good to see you back :) and a lovely way to come back, Punjabi's or not we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy dish and very healthy too..:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious looking rajma....Glad to see you back in action

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nutritious and super healthy curry,love with a bowl of rice. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this with rice / roti.My favorite. Nice recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. good to see you back friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. welcome back Meghana... curry looks so awesome dear....
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete

  10. Hello,
    We too make Rajma in the same way, Looks good.
    First time here and wants to know more about your culinary journey so, following you.
    I would appreciate if you visit my space in your free time.
    Regards,
    Rashida Shaikh

    ReplyDelete
  11. adding Kasuri methi in rajma masala is new to me,loving the flavors!!
    Join my ongoing EP events-Oregano OR Paprika @ Foodomania

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back, delicious rajma curry, good with chapathi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love rajmas!!!! lovely..
    http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's awesome to go to see this website and reading the views of all colleagues on the topic of this article, while I am also eager of getting knowledge.
    my page :: Benefits of Cinnamon on Diabetes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Authentic dish..looks so yummy...love ur recipes...Happy to follow you..:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. so delicious and yummy..
    http://www.indiantastyfoodrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for this recipe! My friend used to make this for me many years ago, but I never did get the recipe. Now I just have to get brave enough to try using the pressure cooker again so I can make it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. rajma chawal is a super comfort food for me.. made perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  19. its been ages since i have made rajma..your recipe is giving me ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Droolworthy rajma curry Meghna. Very inviting. Nice to have you in my space. Here I follow back you dear.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks very tasty! I'm gonna try this with chapathi today :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the blog and for the wonderful comments.