|Spinach Carrot Dal (Spinach and Carrots in Mixed Lentils)|
Mixed Lentils - 1 and half cups (I used Toor dal, Moong dal, Masoor dal and Chana dal)
|Mixed Lentils for Spinach Carrot Dal|
Carrots - 1 cup peeled and grated
Spinach - 1 cup finely chopped
Tomatoes - 1/2 cup finely chopped
|Veggies for Spinach Carrot Dal|
Ginger - 1/4 inch piece, grated
Turmeric powder - 1/2 - 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cloves - 1
Cinnamon - 1/4 inch
Jaggery - 2 teaspoons
Asafoetida powder - 2 pinches
1. Wash all the mixed lentils and keep aside
2. Heat oil / ghee in a pan. Temper with a pinch of asafoetida powder.
3. Add all the veggies (grated carrots, chopped spinach, chopped tomatoes) and grated ginger to the oil and saute'.
4. Add the mixed lentils and turmeric powder and saute'. Add 3 cups of water.
5. Cook this mixture in a pressure cooker or pan for 3-4 whistles or 15 minutes.
6. Mash the lentil and veggies mixture.
7. Heat oil / ghee in a pan or a kadhai, add cloves and cinnamon.
8. Temper with dry red chillies, cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida powder.
9. Add the mashed lentil and veggies mixture, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, jaggery and a cup or 2 of water. Let the Dal boil.
10. When dal is done, add couple of teaspoons of hot ghee on top. This enhances the flavor.
Serve hot with rice or chapati.
1. You can add chopped onion or grated garlic or garam masala.
2. Take any combination of lentils you want. Udid dal can be another interesting addition.
3. Add any other veggies you like - methi, red chard, squash, cabbage, peas etc.