Pages- ???

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Seer Fish Curry (Surmaiche Kalvan)

My kiddo loves going to fish and meat markets. She is always amazed and busy pointing out different things to me like 'mama, look at the goat's brain' , 'mama, can I touch it's leg'. Today, when I went to the fish market, I noticed her looking at a small seer fish and then she came up with, 'mama, that fish is looking at me. It is telling me to take it home'. And that's exactly what I did...
So here's some Seer fish curry or as we call it in Marathi - 'Surmaiche Kalvan'. This is a common fish curry recipe in CKP households. Pomfret, Mackerel, Salmon, Bombay duck and Shrimp curries are also made in the same way.
Seer Fish Curry (Surmaiche Kalvan)
Seer Fish Curry (Surmaiche Kalvan)
Seer Fish curry - Recipe
Seer Fish - 1 medium
Green chillies - 3
Garlic - 7-8 (small)cloves
Coriander leaves - few sprigs
Tamarind paste - 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Lemon - 1/4
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coconut - 1/4 cup (shredded)
Oil and salt

1. Make a paste of 5-6 garlic cloves, green chillies and some coriander leaves.
2. Wash, clean and cut the fish into pieces almost 2 cms thick.
3.  Marinate the pieces with the green spice paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, tamarind paste and juice of 1/4 slice of a lemon and let the fish relax at least for an hour.
Marinated Seer fish / Surmai
Marinated Seer fish / Surmai
 4. Meanwhile, make a smooth paste of shredded coconut with water.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add rest of the garlic cloves (2-3). When the garlic is light brown, add the marinated fish. Try not to break the pieces while stirring.
Add marinated seer fish / surmai to the pan
Add marinated seer fish / surmai to the pan
6. Add the coconut paste and some water. Adjust the salt and spices if you want.
Add coconut paste
Add coconut paste
 7. Boil for 5 minutes.


Seer Fish Curry (Surmaiche Kalvan)
Seer Fish Curry (Surmaiche Kalvan)


This curry tastes equally yummy with rice or chapati.

Some variations:
1. Some like to add ginger in the green spice paste
2. Instead of the shredded coconut, if you have coconut milk in the pantry, go ahead and use it.


26 comments:

  1. looks yummy and tempting

    ReplyDelete
  2. first time in your space n I absolutely loved it..this delicious fish curry is making me drool...loved the choice of spices...following ur space:-) If you like seafood I hav a space dedicated to Only fish recipes...do visit sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good!
    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seer fish looks so yummy dear!!
    http://youtoocancookindianfood.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. I am ur new follower. Do visit space too.
    http://lavanyasrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fish curry looks very delicious..seer fish is my favourite. Thks for dropping by and for your valuable comments Meghna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A delicious fish curry, just look at that colour. Simple to prepare makes it all the more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahaha Mouth-watering :)
    Happy to follow You. Do visit my blog when u are free :)

    http://delectable-delicious.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha.. ur lil' one is so cute! But I agree.. everytime I go to buy fish, I can imagine all of them calling out to me!!

    You have a lovely, lively space :) happy to follow u!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the recipe I have been looking for ages. Thanks a lot. It's like what Mom used to make with surmai back home eons ago. Thanks once more. I will now have to fish for the seer fish:) Hope I can find it in Southern California .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Capt. You might find seer fish in China town or any asian food store

      Delete
  11. New to this fish, can you describe it's taste/texture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also known as Indo Pacific king mackerel. The taste is much milder and delicate as compare to a mackerel.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Yes Arijit, you can definitely make this curry without coconuts. In that case, you will have less gravy in it. You can either skip it altogether or substitute it with - coconut milk or cashew paste or almond paste.

      Delete
  13. It looks great. I am going to try it now with salmon fish. I must update the outcome.
    Regards
    anand , MILTON KEYNES

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the blog and for the wonderful comments.