Pages- ???

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Paneer Nuggets

Two days back, while grocery shopping, my kiddo was excited to see the 'Milky Mist Paneer' in the store. She said  'Mama, do you know it is the most yummy paneer, that's what they say on TV.' I knew then and there, that my 'TV commercial influenced kiddo', will not let me out of the store today without buying this paneer.
Today when I opened my fridge, I had to do this paneer a favour. So I decide to make nuggets out of it. I went through some recipes, but most of them just cut the paneer in pieces, dip it in the batter and fry. But I didn't want my nuggets to be crispy and flavorful on outside and bland on inside. So I came up with this  recipe, and my little food critic gave it 5 stars....yipeee.
Since I wanted to make it kid friendly, I didn't add a lot of spices or chillies. But you can jazz it up with the spices and chillies if you want to.

Paneer Nuggets
Paneer Nuggets

Paneer Nuggets - Recipe
Paneer - 1 packet (200 grams)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Chaat masala - 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar - 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon juice of a small 1/2 lemon
Coriander leaves - few sprigs
Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
Bread crumbs (Scroll down, for the homemade breadcrumbs recipe)
1 Egg (For my vegetarian friends, mix 2 teaspoons of all purpose flour(maida) with 4-5 teaspoons of water and salt and pepper)
Salt and Oil

1. Grate the paneer in a bowl.
Grated Paneer
Grated Paneer

2. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, chaat masala, pepper, lemon juice, sugar and finely chopped coriander leaves to the grated paneer and mix well. Let the flavors blend for at least 20 minutes.
3. Crack open an egg in another small bowl, whisk and add some salt and pepper to it.
4. Spread the breadcrumbs in yet another bowl/plate. Add salt and pepper to them and mix.
Paneer Nuggets Prep
Paneer Nuggets Prep

5. Heat oil in a pan/kadhai for deep frying.
6. Now take some paneer mixture in hand and roll it into a small ball or an oval shape.
7. Dip this in the egg. (or all purpose flour/maida mixture) See that it is coated with egg on all the sides.
8. Then dip this in the breadcrumbs. Again see that the nugget is covered in breadcrumbs on all sides.
Paneer Nuggets ready to be fried
Paneer Nuggets ready to be fried

9. Slowly put the nugget in the oil. The oil shouldn't be too hot, cause the breadcrumbs get brown very quickly.
10. Fry until golden brown.
Paneer Nuggets
Paneer Nuggets

Serve with ketchup or green coriander chutney.

Paneer Nuggets
Paneer Nuggets


Some variations:
To jazz it up for adults or older kids, you can add tandoori masala, red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste or kasuri methi.

Homemade Breadcrumbs
Pop couple of bread slices in the microwave oven for 2 - 3 minutes. The bread comes out crispy. Put them in the blender and blend until coarse/powder (depending on your requirement).

67 comments:

  1. they simply look crispy and yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea, awesome snack for kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pratibha and I am sure kids will love it.

      Delete
  3. Delicious and crispy.. Perfect for a contest.. Best wishes :) BTW your link is there dear please check.. and type in your recipe's name on space given for name..

    The Master Chef Contest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yum

    http://www.followfoodiee.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you can make such delicious nuggets at home, why buy it at a store? Very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Radha. I always try to avoid the frozen stuff, especially for my kiddo.

      Delete
  6. This really looks great.... Such a yummy treat...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super crispy nuggets,feel like having some anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though the recipe seemed long,to a practiced hand the making of this delicious item should be simple.The pictures have come out very well.My first and pleasing visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, if you are making a small batch it doesn't take long. Moreover, you can store the breaded nuggets in the refrigerator beforehand and then fry them as and when required.

      Delete
  9. this looks mouthwatering. I am feeling hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I JUST ate breakfast, but you are making me hungry all over again! I really want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathleen. Let me know how they turned out.

      Delete
  11. Hi Meghana, Happened to stumble upon your blog & found it interesting. You have some great recipes & happy to follow you.

    Would love if you can drop by
    http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in Shweta..will visit you soon.

      Delete
  12. excellent nuggets!!!!!!love the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting recipe,looks crispy and super yum
    Love your space,happy following u :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and following Suja.

      Delete
  14. Hi Meghana,

    I'm Punitha from

    http://www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

    Simply looks crispy and yummy nuggets Meghana.

    Do visit my blog at your free time Dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am new here...your all recipes are awesome.
    http://zariafrozrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. delicious flavours lovely snack following your site :)
    hope you can join the cooking with love aunt event on my site
    thank you for visiting createwithmom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. Will definitely join the event.

      Delete
    2. thank you for linking these delicious snacks to the cooking with love aunt event

      Delete
  17. Hi,
    I have one suggestion for your consideration.The font colour of the words in sidebar and the links like name and date in main page could be a little darker.It would then be easier to read and reader friendly.Dark maroon goes well with orangish background
    kpartha12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Will definitely give that color combo a try.

      Delete
  18. Happy to share awards for you...do collect from my space...
    Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for sharing the awards with me Shabbu. Will post about it soon.

      Delete
  19. Nice n crisp nuggets! looks yummy!

    Thanks for stopping by in my blog and following me! :) You got a nice space, happy to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks crispy and yummy.. neat presentation.. congrats for ur award:)
    glad to follow u.. do visit mine and join in my space :)
    http://indiantastyfoodrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Meghana
    Thanx for stopping by my blog n leading to urs..Gr8 space with yummy recipes..Lov anything with paneer,gr8 recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow..the paneer nuggets looks o crispy n yummy !!!!!!great for munching with a cup of tea/coffee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Replies
    1. Very healthy n nutritious..yummy nuggets!!
      Happy to join your space too:-)
      Hope you'll drop by & join my space too...
      Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
      1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

      2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

      Delete
  24. Paneer nuggets look so good! Nice to be here on your blog!

    Do visit my space- ManjuzKitchen.blogspot.in

    Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very interesting nuggets....looks very crispy and delicious...
    First time in your space.....Very glad following you....
    Do visit my blog in your spare time..
    http://eezy-kitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. lovely Snack ... Thanks for linking it up...

    Ongoing event:
    http://jiyasdelicacy.blogspot.sg/2012/05/first-event-exhibit-every-bite-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Meghna the nuggets loos so very tempting I will surely try for my little toddler and we too will enjoy it. Glad to follow you dear. Do visit my space in your free time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. it looks delicious & really tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  29. You have made this dish so tempting and so easily explained step by step with photos and all, even I feel confident of cooking them!! And they do indeed look delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the blog and for the wonderful comments.