And my special oatmeal bars were born. They carry all the healthy ingredients - oats, flax seeds, walnuts, black raisins, applesauce, honey etc. You can easily modify them to suit your needs. Add chocolate if you want to make them for kids.
|Oatmeal Bars (Oat Breakfast Bars)|
Rolled Oats - 1 cup
Oat Flour - 1/2 cup
(made by grinding oats in the mixer)
Applesauce - 1/4 cup (Store bought or scroll down for the homemade applesauce recipe)
Apple/Orange juice - 1/2 cup (I prefer homemade)
White/brown sugar - 1/2 cup
Honey - 4 tablespoons
Dried fruit - 1/2 cup (Black raisins/Prunes/Apricots/Currants, whatever is available in your pantry)
Walnuts - 1/2 cup (Coarsely ground in the mixer)
Flax seeds Powder - 1/4 cup
Cinnamon powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
1. Preheat oven to 375 Degree Fahrenheit (190 Degree Celsius).
2. Grease 8x8 pan with oil or butter and keep aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients first(Rolled oats, oat flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, flax seeds powder, walnuts, dried fruit and salt).
4. Then gradually add the wet ingredients (Applesauce, juice, honey and vanilla).
The mixture should be moist enough to form a ball, without any extra liquid dripping out.
5. Put the mixture in the prepared pan and spread evenly on the baking pan or dish and bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and cut into squares when cool.
Enjoy the healthy on the go breakfast oatmeal bars.
Storage : Store the bars in the refrigerator in an airtight box, preferably individually wrapped in a plastic wrap. When stored in the freezer, these bars last for a couple of months.
Peel and cut apples into small pieces, boil couple of apples with 3 cups of water. Boil until the apples are soft, add 2 tablespoons of sugar and a pinch of cinnamon powder. The water should be reduced to almost 1/2 cup. Blend all these to get smooth applesauce.