For more about couscous:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couscous.
I had bought this packet of couscous in a supermarket in US. In India you will find it in any major supermarket that sells International brand products (such as pasta, pasta sauce, nutella etc.).
I prefer it over Rava to make upma because it doesn't need any roasting like rava does. Moreover, it cooks very quickly and is firm in texture. And if you are planning to have it for brunch, go for it, because it will certainly fill you up.
|Couscous Upma (Indian Fusion Breakfast with Couscous)|
Onions - 1 (chopped)
Green chillies - 2
Dry red chilli - 1
Curry leaves - 4-5
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Salt - as per taste
Sugar - 2 teaspoons
2. Heat oil in a pan and temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
3. Add green chillies, red chilly and chopped onions.
4. Saute` until the onions are soft.
5. Add salt and sugar
6. Add 2 cups of water.
7. When the water starts boiling, add couscous. Stir, mix, cover and cook
8. You might have to check water after a minute. Add some more water if it looks too dry.
1. You can add udid dal or turmeric powder while tempering.
2. Add veggies like carrots, capsicum, peas to make a colorful couscous upma.