|Chivda (Spicy rice flakes mixture)|
Thin poha (rice flakes) - 1/2 kg
Peanuts - 1/2 cup
Roasted chana dal (dalia) - 1/2 cup
Dry coconut thin vertical slices - 1/4 cup
Green chillies - 8-10 (chopped)
Curry leaves - 1/8 cup
Mustard seeds - 2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Poppy seeds - 2 teaspoons
Cashews - 1/8 cup
Oil, Salt, Sugar and Asafoetida
1. Heat oil in a large pot and shallow fry peanuts, cashews and coconut slices one after the other on a low flame until golden brown. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in the same pot and add little turmeric and salt only enough for the poha you will put in. Shallow fry the thin poha for 10 - 12 minutes. If the pot is small to contain all the poha at a time, do this in 2 batches. This is the key step to get that poha crispy. When done keep aside.
3. This is the final step now. Heat oil again in the same pot.
4. Temper with mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, green chillies, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and sugar.
5. Immediately add roasted chana dal, poppy seeds, peanuts, cashews and coconut slices. Fry just for 30 seconds.
6. Then add the poha and mix well. Let the flavors blend for 10 - 12 minutes, keep stirring though and try not to break those flakes.
7. When done let it cool down and then store in an airtight container. This makes it stay crispy longer.
1. You can skip coconut slices or cashews or add sesame seeds, raisins
2. Some people like to add cumin and coriander powders.